To give you a little information about our packaging, our cardboard multipack boxes are fully recyclable - we use only FSC (http://www.fsc-uk.org/) certified or recycled board for all our outercases. They are also compostable - low migration (water based) ink is printed on the boxes which means that the packaging is safe to compost as no nasties (grrr!) will seep into the ground from the ink. (This is all of course dependant on your country’s recycling capabilities, so we would advise checking your local facilities first, just to be sure.)
The current single Yoyos packs may be recyclable at some specialist recycling points, but probably not in your home recycling scheme. We are on track to sourcing recyclable/compostable cards and single pack film. Our biggest hurdle here is that our packaging is the only form of preservation for our 100% natural snacks. However, we are in the process of shelf life testing using more sustainable packaging.
We care a lot about protecting our natural environment and are always looking for ways to improve our packaging and business overall in this area. We’re not perfect, but we’re doing the best we can. Here are some of the things we are doing right now:
• We minimise the thickness of our packaging material, for example our single packs have a material thickness of 50 microns and the material is mono material and clean poly propylene which can easy be recycled where local collection and sorting schemes exist.
• At the start of this year we reduced the size of our Yoyos single packs by 7.5mm (yet keeping the weight of our Yoyos the same), saving roughly 1.5T of material per year!
• We always ship all our products and never ever fly them to minimise our carbon footprint.
• We are investigating double stacking our pallets in order to fill the trailer space, again reducing road miles.
• We don’t like to see any of our products go to waste and therefore avoid writing off product at all costs. We donate all product we are unable to sell (for reasons such as seasonal packaging) to charity, or auction on alternative platforms.